- 2015 Ford F-150 starts production at historic Ford Rouge Center; facilities transformed with the latest in manufacturing technology to build the first mass-produced truck in its class featuring a high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body and bed
- All-new F-150 is completely redesigned – establishing a new standard for full-size pickups by bringing together improved capability and efficiency, along with cutting-edge smart vehicle technology
- New F-150 goes on sale in December in the United States and will be available in 90 markets in 2015; F-150 is part of the Ford F-Series lineup – America’s best-selling truck for 37 consecutive years and best-selling vehicle for 32 consecutive years
DEARBORN, MICH., November 11, 2014 – Ford Motor Company again demonstrates manufacturing leadership and innovation as the first all-new F-150 rolls off the line today at historic Ford Rouge Center – marking production of the toughest, smartest, most capable and most efficient F-150 ever.
Interest in the new Ford F-150 has steadily grown since the truck was revealed in January at the 2014 North American International Auto Show. More than 225,000 truck enthusiasts have submitted their contact information for updates about the vehicle, and more than 250,000 customers have built and priced their own unique version of the all-new F-150 online – a record through 13 generations of America’s favorite truck. The new model will be in showrooms next month.
“The all-new F-150 continues to advance my great-grandfather’s vision of building vehicles we can be proud of and our customers can depend on,” said Bill Ford, executive chairman, Ford Motor Company.
Both the historic Ford Rouge Center and the all-new Ford F-150 are hallmarks of innovation. Throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, Rouge has represented Henry Ford’s vision for lean, flexible and sustainable manufacturing. The 2015 F-150 – the first mass-produced truck in its class featuring a high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body and bed – stands for the future of trucks, and brings the latest in smart technologies and state-of-the-art build processes.
“The all-new F-150 is a showcase of innovation and class-leading capability for truck customers,” said Mark Fields, Ford president and CEO. “It underscores the product excellence and innovation we are delivering in every part of our business as we accelerate our pace of progress toward profitable growth.”
F-150 is part of the Ford F-Series truck lineup. Now in its 66th year, F-Series has been the best-selling truck in America for 37 consecutive years and best-selling vehicle in America for 32 consecutive years.
Manufacturing Innovations for a New Generation of Pickup
The all-new F-150 is the most innovative truck in Ford history, featuring breakthrough technologies and features that redefine the light-duty pickup for a new generation. The scope of innovation reaches beyond the truck’s overall design with a new approach to how it is built, which Ford’s “Building the Future of Tough” video illustrates.
With a deep understanding of customer needs for a dependable, more capable and more efficient pickup truck, the Ford team designed the advanced manufacturing process to include the latest in materials and in forming and joining technologies. This makes the 2015 model a dramatic advancement over anything the competition has to offer.
Ford’s refurbished Dearborn Diversified, Stamping and Tool & Die facilities provide the latest equipment to give the truck its tough body. This includes new press lines to help stamp four different types of high-strength aluminum alloys that reduce cab and cargo box weight while improving durability. New hydroforming lines use pressurized oil to form metal tubes into strong support rails for structural soundness, a new chemical coating system prepares the aluminum for high-strength adhesives, and a new heat treat area bake hardens the alloys, resulting in more robust, durable materials.
Five hundred new robots in the all-new body shop conduct state-of-the-art joining technology that leads to a tougher truck. Smaller, more compact robots install the roof and doors, transfer the vehicle to final assembly, and scan the body to ensure the highest quality standards are met.
The Dearborn Truck Plant paint shop was updated with dirt detection technology and increased robotic paint automation for more durable paint application resulting in best-in-class exterior appearance for the all-new F-150. Other new processes support the addition of new truck features, such as installation of a class-exclusive 360-degree camera with split-view display.
To support the launch of the all-new F-150, Ford added 850 new workers across its Dearborn Truck, Diversified and Stamping facilities. These new workers join the more than 4,000 existing team members, who work to ensure the 2015 model is built with the highest level of craftsmanship.
“The all new Ford F-150 is the true definition of America-made and speaks to the commitment of the hardworking men and women of the UAW,” said Jimmy Settles, UAW vice president and director, National Ford Department. “From the very beginning, our production workers in stamping and assembly, as well as our skilled trades, have been an integral part of this historic transformation.”
All-New F-150 Redefines Tough, Smart, Capable, Efficient
The all-new F-150 lineup delivers an impressive combination of power, capability and efficiency – from faster processors that enhance driving performance, to breakthrough cargo management and towing solutions, to advanced materials that improve durability, inhibit corrosion and result in an overall lighter truck.
The 2015 F-150 is the most efficient F-150 ever, due to dramatic improvements in weight savings and advanced engine technology. F-150 can tow up to 1,100 more pounds, haul up to 530 more pounds, and will have better fuel economy ratings than the current lineup. Fuel economy is projected to be at least 5 percent and up to 20 percent higher. (EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings will be announced later this month.)
The following underscore the new F-150’s position as the future of pickup trucks:
- Toughest: All-new, high-strength steel frame; high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body; more than 10 million miles of torture testing; Baja 1000-proven 2.7-liter EcoBoost® engine
- Smartest: 11 new class-exclusive features, including 360-degree camera view; BoxLink™ cargo management system; 400-watt power outlets inside the cab; LED headlights, taillights and sideview mirror spotlights; remote tailgate release
- Most capable: Up to 700 pounds less weight, plus four engine choices for an impressive combination of power, capability and efficiency, including best-in-class towing of 12,200 pounds and best-in-class payload of 3,300 pounds
- Most efficient: Dramatic improvements in weight savings and advanced engine technology result in the most fuel-efficient F-150 ever. Regardless of model or engine choice, every truck customer benefits from this weight savings
In addition to Dearborn Truck Plant, the all-new F-150 will be manufactured at Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri, starting in the first quarter of 2015. Combined, the two plants will have capacity to produce more than 700,000 trucks per year for availability in 90 markets globally.
Visitors can plan to witness production of the all-new F-150 and its state-of-the-art building processes as part of the Ford Rouge Factory Tour in Dearborn, Michigan. The tour is undergoing renovation, with new films, exhibits and hands-on experiences scheduled to reopen to the public later this month.